Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Go ahead and kiss me...I am TOTALLY Irish



Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!!!!!



So I am a HUGE fan of St. Pat's day. Ever since i could remember my family has been in touch with their Irish heritage. My brother Patrick's birthday was two days after Christmas so my parents would celebrate it on...yep thats right St. Patrick's day. I heard stories when I was little about my dad's childhood in Chicago and how they would always dye the river green every year for the celebration. I remember one St. Pat's when  my sister  made a huge Irish feast of corn beef and cabbage and everything that could be dyed green was. Including the mashed potatoes and I think the gravy! There was always Baileys at my grandmothers who when the moment was just right she would find her brogue again. Her house always smelled like boiled cabbage and her decor in the house  had something to do with shamrocks, leprechauns, a saint and prayers.

So tonight keeping with tradition  the Peddler and kids are getting an Irish breakfast and as much green dessert as possible! I will post recipes and pictures tomorrow but for now I wanted to leave an email I received from my cousin...i had to laugh because so much of it is so true with my own family!

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE IN AN IRISH  FAMILY
1) You will never play  professional basketball.
2) You  swear very well.
3) At least one  of your cousins is a fireman, cop, bar owner, funeral home
owner
 or holds  political office. And you have at least one aunt who is a
nun or uncle who's a  priest.
4) You think you sing  very well.
5) You have no idea  how to make a long story short!
6) There isn't a big difference between you  losing your temper or killing
someone...
7) Many of your childhood meals were boiled.  Instant potatoes were a
mortal sin.
8) You have never hit your head on a  ceiling.
9) You spent a good  portion of your childhood kneeling in prayer.
10) You're strangely poetic after a few  beers.
11) Some punches directed  at you are from legacies of past generations.
12) Many of your sisters and/or cousins are named  Mary, Catherine or
Eileen ..... and there is at least one member of your  family with the full name
of Mary Catherine Eileen
13) Someone in your family is very generous. It  is more than likely you.
14) You  may not know the words, but that doesn't stop you from  singing..
15) You can't wait for  the other guy to stop talking before you start
talking.
16) You're not nearly as funny as you think you  are ... but what you lack
in talent, you make up for in  frequency.
17) There wasn't a huge difference between your  last wake and your last
keg party.
18) You are, or know someone, named  Murph.
19) If you don't know  Murph then you know Mac. If you don't know Murph or
Mac, then you know Sully.  Then you probably know McMurphy.
20) You are genetically incapable of keeping a  secret.
21) You have Irish  Alzheimer's... you forget everything but the grudges!
22) 'Irish Stew' is a euphemism for 'boiled  leftovers.'
23) Your skin's  ability to tan.... not so much.
24) Childhood remedies for the common cold often  included some form of
whiskey.
25) There's no leaving a family party without  saying goodbye for at least
45 minutes.
26) At this very moment, you have at least two  relatives who are not
speaking to each other. Not fighting, mind you, just not  speaking to each other.

1 comment:

  1. Abbie you're so lucky! This made me wish I was Irish, then I would have a legitimate excuse to act this way, especially #2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 14, 16, 20 and 25 :)

    ReplyDelete