Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Time Salad

In my attempts to blog more I thought I would share a quick thrown together recipe I made last night.

Every time I make pasta I always feel the urge to have a green salad, maybe it was the years of childhood where my mom said the food on the plate always needed color and she never cooked just a starch. Anyway last night I realized I was low on options for a salad and the only thing worth throwing into the leafy lettuce was a tomato. (which my husband does not enjoy) I also remembered we have no dressing in the fridge that anyone really likes. And my usual olive oil and balsamic vinegar was out of question, since there was no balsamic vinegar to be had.

As I looked around I saw all the apples on the counter and remembered my cranberries in the freezer and the 4 containers of poppy seeds in my cupboard and my brain began churning. I found some croutons and Parmesan cheese and went to town. The outcome was delicious!

Christmas Time Salad

Lettuce( I used green leaf)
Apples
Dried Cranberries
Broccoli
Croutons
Parmesan Cheese

Dressing
1/2 cup of Mayonnaise
1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons of Sugar
1-2 teaspoons of Poppy Seeds
1 teaspoon of Blood Orange Flavored Olive Oil-(probably could use Orange Juice too)

The exact measurements for the dressing may be off, as I just mixed it all to taste. (may want to add less vinegar and more sugar) I also think it would be delicious with bacon bits and or candied nuts.




1 comment: